1. Boxing in Yankee stadium (1923).
2. A Russian spy laughing through his execution (1939).
3. The evacuation of Saigon, in which some 45 UH-1
Hueys and one CH-47 Chinook
were pushed overboard to make room for others to land (1975).
4. The first passengers on the brand new New York subway (1904).
5. Ernest Hemingway at a Havana bar (date unknown).
7. Policemen inspect a ‘lumber truck’ that smelled of alcohol
During prohibition (1926).
8. Archduke Franz Ferdinand with his wife on the day they are assassinated,
which contributed to the start of WWI (1914).
9. A native American watching the newly completed transcontinental railroad
In Nevada (1868).
10. The oldest running car on the planet: the 1884 De Dion, Bouton et
Trepardou Dos-Ã -Dos.
11. A newly liberated French citizen happily lights Winston Churchill’s
12. A US soldier offering his hand to a woman leaving a cave
13. Queen Elizabeth during her WWII service.
15. A pyramid of helmets from captured German soldiers on display
In New York (1918).
19. Fidel Castro and Malcolm X (1960).
20. 106-year-old Armenian woman protecting her home with
An AK-47 (1990).
21. Star Wars set at lunchtime.
23. William Harley and Arthur Davidson (1914).
24. Execution of a German communist in Munich (1919).
25. Muhammad Ali trying to talk down a suicidal man (1981).
26. Construction of Mt. Rushmore National Memorial (1939).
27. The assembly line of Porsche 911’s at the Stuttgart factory (1970)
28. American soldiers discover Manet’s painting hidden in the salt mines
Of Merker, Germany (1945).
29. John Young and Charles Duke training for the Apollo 16 mission
In the New Mexico desert.
31. Anne Frank pokes her head out of her family’s flat in Amsterdam (1942).
32. Archaeologist Howard Carter examining the opened sarcophagus
of King Tut.
33. Hitler inspecting the massive 800mm ‘Schwerer Gustav’ railway gun –
the largest-caliber rifled weapon ever used in combat (1942).
35. Eyes of hate: a photo of Goebbels after finding out his photographer
36. The first Wal-Mart store opened in 1962 by Sam Walton. It was called
Walton’s Five and Dime.
39. B-32 Bomber Factory in Fort Worth , Texas (1944).
40. The Cologne cathedral amidst the ruins (1944).
41. A rare photo of a young Winston Churchill (1895).
42. The construction of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco (1937).
44. Gadget, the first atomic bomb.
45. The night they ended Prohibition (December 5, 1933).
46. German prisoners marching to Moscow after their defeat
at Belarus (1944).
49. Control room of the UB-110 German submarine (1918).
52. Samuel Reshevsky, age 8, defeating several chess masters at once
in France (1920).
53. USAAF B-25 sinks Japanese destroyer Amatsukaze off the coast of Xiamen,
54. An assassin attacking the socialist politician Inejiro Asanuma in Tokyo,
55. A woman who survived the Nagasaki bombing (1945).
56. The first car factory in the US for Ford (1926).
57. Allied forces mocking Hitler (1945).
58. A US soldier replacing ‘Adolf-Hitler-Str.’ sign with ‘ Roosevelt Blvd ‘
in Berlin, Germany (1945).
This is why we enjoy photographs ~ they recall history so easily ~ Enjoy!